Released in 1995, 4 years before The Matrix blasted onto our screens we got Johnny Mnemonic, a cyberpunk scifi thriller starring Keanu Reeves and Dolph Lundgren.
It’s the year 2021 and Johnny (Keanu Reeves) is a data courier with a secret: he is carrying a dangerous stash of information in his mind and must race against time, money and gangsters to deliver the package and save himself. Accompanied by physically enhanced bodyguard Jane (Dina Meyer), Johnny sets out to acquire the passwords he needs to save himself. Worse yet, he is hunted by gangster Shinji (Denis Akiyama) and businessman Takahashi (Takeshi), both of whom seek the data Johnny possesses.
Brand New Extras:
• Audio commentary by film critic Rich Johnson
• Limited Edition Booklet: Features ‘Future Proof: A Cyberpunk 101’ by Rich Johnson and ‘The Semiotic Ghosts of William Gibson’ by Brian J. Robb
• Limited Edition packaging with new artwork by Lucas Peverill
• Set of art cards
• Tomorrow Calling (1993), a short film adaptation of William Gibson’s short story The Gernsback Continuum
• Commentary with director Robert Longo
• Japanese Director’s cut (SD)
• Behind the Scenes
• Interviews from the shoot
• Music video