Navigating the current film business is more difficult than ever before with rapidly changing technology and an overcrowded marketplace this has led to an industry in which anyone can now make a film, but few can make a living out of it. In one of my favourite documentaries of recent years Clapboard Jungle takes us the viewer into just how difficult and stressful this journey can be and whilst battling the pit falls to make a great film, Justin has in fact made a great film showing that journey.
Following five years in the life and career of independent filmmaker Justin McConnell (Lifechanger), this documentary explores the struggles of financing, attracting the right talent, working with practical effects and selling the finished product in the hope of turning a profit. Featuring interviews with a range of industry luminaries – including Guillermo del Toro (Crimson Peak), Sid Haig (Spider Baby), Barbara Crampton (Re-Animator), Mick Garris (The Stand), Dick Miller (Matinee), Tom Holland (Fright Night) and George A. Romero (The Crazies), alongside a host of others – not only are technical aspects and interpersonal skills discussed but also the emotional stamina and little-known tips needed to survive in the low budget film industry.
A warts-and-all exploration of what it takes to get a film made and released, Clapboard Jungle serves as a survival guide for the modern independent filmmaker and offers a fascinating insight into a side of the industry with which few are likely to be familiar.
Whilst as Id mentioned, I have seen the documentary, Arrow have yet again made me giddy for a films up and coming release by including a ton of special features which will keep me quiet for hours. Check out this list.
• High Definition Blu-ray™ (1080p) presentation
• Original lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 audio
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Optional Spanish and Catalan subtitles
• Audio commentary with director Justin McConnell
• Crew commentary with Justin McConnell, co-producer Darryl Shaw, executive producer Avi Federgreen and editor/associate producer Kevin Burke
• Guest commentary/panel discussion with Barbara Crampton, Richard Stanley, John McNaughton, Gigi Saul Guerrero and Adam Mason
• Deleted scenes with optional commentary by Justin McConnell
• Five hours of extended interviews, featuring Anne-Marie Gélinas, Barbara Crampton, Brian Trenchard-Smith, Brian Yuzna, Charles Band, Corey Moosa, Dean Cundey, Dick Miller, Don Mancini, Frank Henenlotter, Gary Sherman, George A. Romero, George Mihalka, Guillermo Del Toro, John McNaughton, Jon Reiss, Larry Cohen, Larry Fessenden, Lloyd Kaufman, Mette-Marie Kongsved, Michael Biehn & Jennifer Blanc-Biehn, Mick Garris, Paul Schrader, Richard Stanley, Sam Firstenberg, Tom Holland, Tom Savini and Vincenzo Natali
• Two bonus documentaries from Justin McConnell, Working Class Rock Star (2008) and Skull World (2013), both with optional commentary and new director introductions
• 13 short films from Justin McConnell, all with optional commentary and new director introduction
• Trailers, promos, photo gallery and Easter eggs
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Ilan Sheady
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collectors’ booklet featuring new writing by legendary genre
producer/director Brian Yuzna (Re-Animator, Society)
If youve ever wanted to make a film, ever made a film, or you are a fan of great documentaries. I cant recommend Clapboard Jungle enough.